Friday, February 15, 2019

Captain Marvel Fan Event at Marina Bay Sands

Yep I'm back after a long hiatus... as you may know, this blog is reserved for anything linked to movies or upcoming video games. But more importantly, I put up entries for the benefit of the few people who may not have social media accounts like Facebook or Instagram. And there was one event which I attended just last night, and it is... (drum roll)

Captain Marvel Fan Event!!


So basically I went to MBS on Sunday evening to see if I could get ticket for this event... lo and behold, tickets were still available!! I was glad to have heeded the advice of my 2 friends Mr S and Miss P, cos if I didn't go to MBS, then I would have missed out on the event.

Fast forward to yesterday with some very bad news... I sustained an ankle sprain on my right foot, which soon developed into GOUT ATTACK... and this is like the 6th time I kena gout again!! But since I had the ticket, I wasn't going to put it to waste. So at around 5.30 pm, I forced myself to get changed, put on my socks and shoes then booked a Grab Car to take me to MBS.

As I limped to the entrance and got my ticket scanned, I had to avoid colliding with anyone with huge bags or kids who ran too fast so as to avoid re-aggravating my foot injury. It was a horribly long wait for the show to actually begin, and to make matters worse, I was standing most of the time! I had no idea that there were huge projector screens at the back, and I would've sat over there if I had known that much sooner.

Among the few familiar faces were Jason Godfrey, Allan Wu, Oon Shu An, Genevieve Loh. And because this is the only stop in Asia where the Captain Marvel fan event was held, representatives from other Asian countries (Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines) were also present... though I was only more familiar with Joey Mead King.

             
At 1950 hrs, the show FINALLY started proper. Began with the post-credits scene of Avengers: Infinity War where Nick Fury managed to send a distress message to an old friend via his hi-tech pager, just before he turned into ash due to Thanos' Decimation.

     
Then the emcees graced the stage, they were Fly Entertainment artists Bobby Tonelli and Nikki Mueller. They talked a bit about the film and brought out 2 main Marina Bay Sands personnel: President/COO Mr George Tanasijevich and Vice President/General Manager of Walt Disney Studios Mr. Tom Bachelor. According to Mr Tanasijevich, the fan event is the 45th red carpet event held at MBS in the past 7 years.

           
I missed out the part where directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck emerged at the Red Carpet, cos i was updating my IG story at the time. The first cast member to show up was Samuel L Jackson, who made his MCU debut as Nick Fury in the post-credits scene of Iron Man (2008), and had starred in over 100 films during his 30-plus year career, including the recently released "Glass". Look, his phone cover is purple in color, a nod to his role of Jedi Master Mace Windu in the Star Wars prequels. I also saw fans holding up signs referencing his Pulp Fiction characters... fan signs such as "Ezekiel 25:13" and "To Samuel, Gemma and Brie... I Double Dare you take a selfie with me!"

         
Up next was Gemma Chan, who looked really stunning. She stars as Starforce member Minn-erva in the film, but here in Singapore she is better known for her role as Astrid Leong wife of Michael (Pierre Png) in Crazy Rich Asians. She immediately went forth to sign on various items and also do selfies with various fans at the fan sectors.

        
Last to grace the Red Carpet was Brie Larson herself, she looked really hawt in a revealing black top, and with a Captain Marvel logo pin at the back! Hard to believe that Brie is the youngest of the lot at 29 years of age (she turns 30 in October)... and she very nearly turned down the role cos she initially wanted to remain anonymous while taking on the role. Thankfully she changed her mind and accepted the role, underwent 9 months of training, and relished in the spotlight.

        
Brie was rushed to backstage rather quickly, but the directors, Gemma and Samuel stayed longer to sign on various items (including a custom-designed Infinity Gauntlet!!) and also took selfies with the fans.


Seconds before the directors graced the stage, I spotted Jaikishan, the Fly Entertainment artistes who starred as Julius in Tanglin, and also starred in Toggle Original series such as "Yes Mdm", "Life Spams", "No Catalogue" and "Glitch". For a while most of us had turned into Kree warriors under the blue lighting hehe 😆😁

     
First to grace the stage were directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck. Anna is the first ever female director in the MCU.

       
Next up was Gemma Chan who nearly couldn't be seen due to the thick smoke that followed from the brief pyros.

         
"Do we have clearance for landing?" next up was Samuel L Jackson aka Nick Fury. He still looked so hip despite being 70 years of age.

                
A 2 minute video of empowering women (including breast cancer researcher Li Jingmei, female rights activist Anamah Tan, national wakeboarder Sasha Christian, race-car driver Claire Jedrek and Paralympic gold medallist Yip Pin Xiu) was shown, followed by Brie Larson's grand entrance. She really does look a lot like my colleague/supervisor who is slightly older than her. 😅😍💗

         
Samuel L Jackson appeared in a short video where he, George and Tom packed some Captain Marvel memorabilia into suitcases to send to a group of kids from AWWA. The cast and directors took photo with the volunteers, and later got another group photo towards the end.

               
I had already sit down on the floor at 2115 hrs as I was in a lot of pain. By the time the whole thing ended, it was already 2130 hrs. I limped out of the hall and first thing i saw was the group of fans (Jasmond, Jason, Kenny, Ting Ting, etc) taking photo with whichever celebrity they saw. I took photo with Thai social media infleuncer Sabina Meisinger, the Face Thailand 2014 winner who happened to be Eurasian. After which, Ilimped to the MRT station and took train to Bugis. Had a quick dinner there and took bus back home.

No comments: