Sunday, March 02, 2008

Watching "The Leap Years"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Gayle Nerva, Lilly and Anna



I went to watch "The Leap Years" as promised... at good ol' Vivo City!! I don't know why, but I just got this affinity with the place. Watching the film also helped to destress myself for the upcoming week, where I had to finish up on 2 projects (arghhhh!!!). I admit that I am not really a big fan of romantic films, but hey I don't mind watching one. :-)


There is a reason why Joan Chen is being featured prominently as the middle-aged Li-Ann... Tracy Tan from "My Sassy Neighbor" and "Heartlanders season 1" plays her stepdaughter Dylann (I guess you should know who her on-screen father is, don't you?). Somehow the shifts between the present and flashbacks of the past kinda make the plot more confusing. The show focuses on Li-Ann reminiscing the 16-yr period when she met Jeremy... meeting him for the very first time at a cafe when she turned 24 on Feb 29th. She meets Jeremy again for the next 3 leap years (at ages 28, 32 and 36), each with a different outcome. Qi Yuwu provides emotional support as the childhood friend KS. Vern, Nadya and Paula play Li-Ann's cloest friends with distinct personalities.


Oh ya, there are a few surprises during the 16-yr flashbacks (as in the 4 leap years)... Allan Wu makes a very brief cameo in the film, KS moves on and gets engaged to one of Li-Ann's close friends (3 guesses) and Li-Ann was going to marry a former Power Ranger towards the end of the film.

Yep, I think the film is quite good, I give it 3 out of 5 stars. It may not be a very fantastic film, but hey at least it is much more worth watching than films like "Meet The Spartans" (which I don't intend to watch in cinemas at all). Yet I cant help but think that it's plain silly for both female and male lead to wait at the same place and same time every 4 years (with this trend bcoming too much of an obsession)... I mean come on, who would really do that? Even Dr Catherine Lim, the author of "Leap of Love", thinks that it will be a very naive and silly thing to do.

No comments: