Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Everybody Goes Through Dark Patches

Happy Birthday to Willem Dafoe, Shawn Michaels, Ng Hui and Joakim Gomez
Congratulations to Mark Lee (yes, the comedian from J-Team) and wife Catherine for the arrival of their newborn daughter Calista!! :-)

Everyone has a good side and a dark side. It all depends on which one is more dominant. I admit that I'm not a purely "good guy", but I can't say I'm entirely "evil" either. I stay true to myself all the time, and I make my own decisions by my own consicence, not by the toss of a coin.


Speaking about "tossing a coin", I am not afraid to say that Harvey Two-Face is my top fave villain from the Batman series, since the day I knew about his existence in the Animated series, back in 1993. Harvey Dent is quite different from most villains... as in he's not entirely evil, but tragic events awakened his alternate personality (like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde) and made him quite similar to other villains. In many ways, he's similar to Anakin Skywalker aka Darth Vader. Only difference is, Vader lost all 4 limbs and got his whole body burnt; Harvey was burnt only in the left side of his face.
Harvey Dent started off as a good guy committed to putting an end to the escalating crime rate in Gotham City. Technically speaking, he's on the same side as Batman and Commissioner Jim Gordon. Unfortunately, he has made a lot of enemies (no surprise) due to his dedication, one of them being The Joker. Indeed The Joker succeeded on engineering the downfall of Dent, and the man once hailed as Gotham's "white knight" has re-emerged as an angry and murderous vigilante. You can go to Wikipedia to find out more about Harvey Two-Face.


And me? Ha, don't ask me if I am any similar to Two-Face. I don't believe in making things "fair or justified" by the flip of a coin, I'm not one who would judge anyone, neither am I obsessed with dualities or opposites. After all, we're all human, we all make mistakes, we've all had our dark patches. Although I must admit, I do have this "obsession" with flipping a special coin... yes, it's real American currency.

Everyone goes through struggles, and it all boils down to us to choose whether to get over the past and move on, or continue to be traumatized by that particular event. Only by God's grace can we overcome such experiences. Trust me, I was nearly driven insane by a horrible mistake I made and the tinge of guilt that followed it, til I learnt to counter it, simply by praying to God.

Just as Harvey Dent said to Bruce Wayne, "Either you die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain."

No comments: