Friday, August 04, 2006

Not goodbye for Jay

Hmmm seems like my prediction came true after all. I wasnt too surprised that Jay Lim would be the one going home, given the poor fan attendance on Monday's event at Mount Emily Hangout. Still I thot it was unfair for Hady and Jonathan to be at the bottom 3. I sense something fishy in the voting system... as if the producers had manipulated the numbers in such a way that the three better singers are at the bottom. And this is so not right.
Initially I didnt quite like Jay, esp when he didnt high-five Meryl at the end of the 4th piano round, but when he professed that he missed the high-five, I changed my viewpoint abt him (at least he was honest abt it, not like a certain someone). Then when I saw Jay wif the other 6 Wildcards (Meryl had pulled out then) at Tampines Mall, I realised he was a really nice, friendly and humble guy wif no airs of pretence or attitude. So yeah I started to like him (yep thats a pic of him wif the lovely Gayle Nerva) :-)
Jay did really well wif Solitaire during the Wildcard round, and he was the viewers' choice. Altho the crying part was a tad unnecessary, it was truly beautiful, and memorable as well. Then I saw him at the Bugis and Bishan events. Other times I saw him were at the recpetionist area after the Final 11 show, the Lime @Scape party and outside Mount Emily Hangout on Monday (never thot it would be the last time I would see him)
His song of "My Funny Valentine" was a little dull, mostly bcos many fans weren't too familiar wif the song. Nevertheless, he made it thru to the next round. His Number One hit choice of "If You're Not The One" was splendid, esp when he hit the falsetto towards the end of the chorus... but he ended up at the Bottom 3 wif Gayle and Paul (the whole nation was in tears when Gayle got kicked out that night). His jazz song "Have You Met Miss Jones" wasnt really captivating tho his vocal control was as good as ever. And his tryout at Robbie Williams' "Supreme" (loosely based on the classic hit "I Will Survive") was quite a surprise cos it was so much different from the typical ballads... tho not the best performance that night, it was his most earnest, for he proved that he was willing to try out something different. And yet he got ousted last night, mostly in due part to his vocals and his xinyao vibe.
Well at least Jay made it this far into SI, and he got something to tell his students about. The elimination has got mostly to do wif his age and his lack of star quality, but definitely not on wrong choice of song. Still, I'm gonna miss him greatly... hope he doesnt give up on his dreams. And Im glad to haf taken picture wif u that Monday night, Jay :-)

No comments: