Friday, May 16, 2008

Unexpected withdrawal, and watching a damn cool movie

Happy Birthday to Janet Jackson, Megan Fox and Geraldine Chua

Just yesterday afternoon when I was about to go out, I received an SMS stating that "we regret to inform you that Jasmine is unable to participate in Stardust finals due to flu...". Imagine the shock and disappointment on my face after I read the SMS. It's really a pity that Jasmine had to fall sick at the last minute... I mean, who would have expected it? I hate that nasty flu bug. Almost every day I see someone sneezing, be it in church, a cinema, a restaurant, bus or train. And I tell you, it's damn annoying. Even I get the flu sometimes, but I make it a point to recover from it as quickly as possible (serious).

I personally would like to go watch the show even without Jasmine around, for a more personal reason (regarding a certain Miss MJL). But then again, this unexpected withdrawal made me things a lot easier this time round. Gives me more free time to do something else... with someone I know better :-) In the meantime, I pray for Jas to have a speedy recovery.


Anyway, yesterday afternoon I went to Vivo City to watch a movie... Speed Racer!! I watched it mostly due to good reviews; it is based on the Japanese cartoon in the late 70s to early 80s known as "Mach Go Go Go", which in turn was Westernized into "Speed Racer". I have to admit that even without the presence of Korean popster known as Rain (who plays Taejo Togokahn), the film still rocks. So much adrenalin rush from all that full throttle dashes and crazy stunts from Emile Hirsch who plays Speed Racer. Christina Ricci who plays Trixie (Speed's girlfriend) looks like a Barbie doll with those huge eyes and fair skin. Chinese actress Wu Han who played Rain's older sister looks damn hot, esp with that sizzling figure and pouty lips. Susan Sarandon and John Goodman (from the 1994 Flintstones movie???) play Speed's parents, and Speed has a younger brother named Spritle, possibly born soon after older brother Rex Racer's apparent demise in the Ice Caverns. Matthew Fox (aka Jack Shephard from "Lost"), with the distinguishable jawline and nose, plays the mysterious Racer X with a hidden past who helps Speed and Taejo battle the horde of racers dispatched by Royalton Industries.

Overall, I rate the film 7.5 out of 10 stars, quite worth the watch. Never mind if the characters' names sound rather weird and out-of-this-world. Special effects are like no other, and storyline is quite easy to follow (save for the draggy details on the olden day races). Of course you should know that the film ends on a happy note, but then there's something else you don't know... unless you are familiar with the Speed Racer cartoon, pls DO NOT highlight the following text if you don't wanna know the main spoiler.

Racer X is Rex Racer, Speed's older brother. He faked his own death, attended his 'funeral' secretly and underwent face reconstructive surgery to hide his own identity.

No comments: