Saturday, May 26, 2007

Talk on Cyber Awareness

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ERIC BISCHOFF, WAN HUA AND BEE GEOK

I never thought I would return to my old school for a cyber awareness roadshow... and it was about 5 years since I last stepped into ITE Tampines. Makes me wonder how I manage to graduate from that place in first place, and how I could even survive 2 yrs in that institute (which is many times bigger than the Bedok campus). Going around the place, I noticed a few minor changes... the washrooms look similar to the ones at ITE Macpherson, the library has become empty (arghhh what a shame), the fish ponds are all barren... and that was about it. Oh, and the teachers who had taught me years before are still around, as I had observed on the staff notice board.
Anyway, I noticed by the end of today that THE WHOLE CLASS managed to show up for the roadshow, and most of the usual latecomers (Mr H and Mr D... I haf nothing to say) managed to report to the auditorium/school on time. We got to learn the dangers of getting our privacy intruded as well as how online predators can fool many innocent online users so easily (like how "Blue Cherry" managed to coax the simple-minded Ah Boon into giving him his money). Not to forget how rumors, racist remarks and rude remarks from blogs can sometimes infuriate or cause emotional hurt to others reading the blog (like how bimbotic Cheryl's blog posting on Amy's huge crush on Boon caused Amy emotional stress and also landed Cheryl in deep trouble with the teachers). Worst cyber crime of all, as seen in a short film made sometime between 1998 to 2001 (Jamie Yeo who had made her TV debut as Tammy in "Growing Up" in late 1998, was featured on the cover of a student's 8 days magazine), has gotta be the one where two teenagers hacked into the school website and tried valiantly to uplaod a provocative site on their form teacher (whom they dislike).
After the talk was done, we could all go our separate ways. But having gone through this seminar on cyber awareness has made me more aware on the dangers of abusive blog entries... and thus I will cut down on the negative stuff and use the blog for good. As the saying goes... "with great power comes great responsibility".

No comments: