Monday, November 19, 2007

Watching Beowulf

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Roslan (yes, the SI semi-finalist/Anugerah finalist!) and Peiyun



Yesterday, I had to wake up super early to attend some ISO meeting at 8 am... being the cynic that I am these days, I don't quite remember many things during the meeting, but I do remember stuff like ways to cut down water and electricity, as well as the different chemicals used for cleansing different things. I also remember my plan to get the f out from the job for good once the next Private Sale and the D n D party is over and done, and I am still working out on improving my work attitude. After the meeting ended a few minutes before 10 am, I was forced to choose my 'next move' between 10 am to 2.30 pm before starting work at 3 pm... go to Lau Pa Sat to watch some 'mission' or watch a movie. After much consideration, I decided to watch the film titled "Beowulf", esp since I can still go see Lina and Rongming on Sat at Juong Point, and I wasn't exactly in the mood to go to Lau Pa Sat. Also partially bcos I want to get some ideas on my animation project from the film. :-)


Ok so I don't really know much about Anglo Saxon history in the early 6th century, but I thought this film was the best interpretation of the oldest-living poem in Anglo Saxon myth and actually quite the worth the watch... the story may have been flawed in certain aspects, but the thing that attracted me to the show was the extensive use of motion capture effects used for the entire film. Angelina Jolie looked SMOKIN HOT as the naked lizard-human hybrid temptress (as well as mother of the deformed freak Grendel and the dragon at the climax of the film)... I tell you the truth, I think I myself won't even be able to resist the temptation of this sizzling temptress. Alas, the mother of Grendel, who never had a name in the original poem, was the source of the downfall of King Hroogar (played by Sir Anthony Hopkins) and Beowulf, who succeeded Hrothgar as king of Denmark after the former killed himself. Easy to see the all-too-common moral on how women (esp those who can cause major distraction) can often cause the downfall of man, and how the 'sins of the father' would bring everything full-circle. I rate this film 3.5 out of 5 stars... do make time to watch, and you won't be disappointed :-)

Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_%282007_film%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf

No comments: