Friday, September 15, 2006

Jasmine, you did us all proud

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JAY LIM!!

Ok this is the hardest AND longest Idol entry I had to write about... my personal fave. The only female contestant to have lasted longer than the rest, hence the moniker "Last Girl Standing". The one whose fanclub I joined overnight at Mount Emily hangout on 31st July (and never looked back since). Yes that's right, I'm talking about the sweet, adorable and talented Jasmine Tye. And yep I'm going to focus all my attention on Jasmine Tye here.
3rd place is already a very big accomplishment itself... altho I did vote for Jasmine a few times (no less than 10 btw), I still know they wont be enough to get her into the Finals, esp since it's the whole of Singapore voting for the Final 2. So it was a little expected when Gurmit announced that Jasmine's Idol journey had come to an end; indeed, history has repeated itself. And of course I'm equally happy that Hady and Jonathan would indeed be going to face off in the Finals (oh yeah, I agree that Stacie Orrico is HOT!!!). I know this is the 100th time I'm saying this, but I wanna say once again that Im still very proud of her for going this far, and Im still very happy that she did great on the last Spectaculars with "Valentine" and "Some Hearts". Indeed she has made the most improvement among all the other finalists... from her lacklustre performances with "There You'll Be" and "Wannabe" (shudder) to compliment-worthy performances like "Don't Forget To Remember Me", "Sweet Child of Mine", "Foolish Games" and "Right Here On My Own".
I don't mind the fact that Jasmine is getting a little chubbier these days (she doesnt even need to be tall or stick thin to look beautiful)... I don't care abt people slamming her (no matter how angry I may be, but Im not gonna fall in their trap this time around) cos they won't make me change my mind abt Jasmine. She's a really sweet, friendly and unpretentious person, and it's really hard not to like her. Indeed she's the perfect description to the girl-next-door whom many guys would want to bring home to introduce to their mums. I admit I got a minor crush on Jasmine too (don't we all do so?), but I'll still continue to support her all the way :-)
I wanna thank Jasmine's parents, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins and other relatives for giving me the opportunity to join in the craze and being really nice to me and my fellow supporters. I also wanna thank Jumali, Hoonie, Kendrick, Gerald, Jeremy, Joyce, Khairul, Syafiq, Kailin, Jasmine Seah and all the other fans from the Jasmine fanclub for accepting me for who I am and allowing me to know you all a little better, as well as join you in supporting Jasmine like mad. Indeed I'm gonna miss each and everyone of you... I hope we can all continue to keep in touch even as the Spectaculars come to a close. And last but not least, I thank God for giving me the opportunity to know all of you wonderful people. :-)
In all, I had seen Jasmine in person about 21 times as of last night... even more than Hady and Jonathan (tho not anymore)... I know I'll still get to see her again at the Indoor Stadium with the other finalists. But for now, here goes the list:
1) 8th July: the very first time I saw Jasmine was at the Final 12 roadshow at Bugis Junction... they arrived half an hour late but that didn't matter. I wasn't crazy over her back then.
2) 9th July: Then I saw her at the Final 12 roadshow at Bishan Junction 8 for the official SI magazine signing... my main focus at that time was on Emilee and Gayle
3) 19th July, my very first time attending a Singapore Idol Spectaculars event (Final 11 performance- Number One hits)... while it was the third time I would see Jasmine and few others, little did I know that the next day would be the very last time I would see Gayle in the competition (but definitely not the last time I would see Gayle in person overall of course). Didnt quite like Jasmine's hairstyle there
4) 22nd July, Joakim's birthday: I saw her at the Lime Charity event (Final 10 appearance) outside Orchard Cineleisure, where she auctioned away her table tennis trophy
5) 31st July, Mount Emily hangout... this was the very night I officially joined the Jasmine fan club, and never looked back since. Nurul's birthday happened to be on that day too
6) 5th August, two events 'back-to-back'... Final 8 at Suntec Convention Center and Orchard Cineleisure.
7) 8th August, Final 8 performance: Home, Family and Friends. Jasmine aced it up wif Carrie Underwood's "Don't Forget To Remember Me". It was also the first real time i got to chat wif Siew Woon and Wan Hua.
8) 10th August, Final 8 results... Jasmine is one of the first few to be safe, whereas Rahimah had been eliminated.
9) 16th August, Final 7 performance: Rock Da House. Jasmine wowed everyone with Guns N Roses' "Sweet Child Of Mine". I didn't attend the results show the nest day, but I was quite relieved not to haf done so, cos Mathilda got booted off that night, and it shocked everyone all over Singapore.
10) 23rd August, Final 6 performance: Asian Pop. Jasmine did well with Zhang Huei Mei's "Ting Hai" and Tata Young's "I Believe".
11) 24th August, Final 6 results (and Dick Lee's birthday!!). Jasmine was among the first 3 (alongside Hady and Jon) announced to be safe, whereas Nurul got booted out, leaving Jasmine as the 'last girl standing'.
12) 30th August, Final 5 performance: R & B. Jasmine continued to show improvement with Aretha Franklin's "Think (Freedom)" and Christina Aguilera's "Come On over".
13) 31st August, Final 5 results... Jasmine, Hady and Jon were once again announced to be safe, while Paul and Joakim were the last two standing. Joakim's journey ended with dignity.
14) 2nd September, the Final 4 made their appearance at Compass Point from 1500 to 1630 hrs
15) 3rd September... the Final 12 Idols reunited for an ensemble for the President's Star Charity event. And it did help that I was a fan of Vincent Ng, who happened to be Vincent's fave local celeb. :-)
16) 6th of September, Final 4 performance: Judges' Choices. Jasmine sang "Out Here on My Own" and "Foolish Games".
17) 7th September, Final 4 results... Rui En was the guest performer that night, and the Rui En fan club came in full force. Everyone in the studio go emotional when Paul's Idol journey ended that night.
18) 8th September: I went to Chung Cheng Secondary to show my support for Jasmine, esp since I had a lot of free time before the Westlife concert.
19) 9th September: Back-to-back events for the Final 3 at Plaza Singapura at 3 pm and at the Youth Park at 5 pm.
20) 13th September: Final 3 performance... she sang "Valentine" and "Some Hearts".
21) 14th September: Final 3 results... Jasmine became 2nd runner-up. But wow, what an amazing journey she had been through.

Whew... finally finished with this entry!!! I need to rest...

No comments: