Saturday, September 30, 2006

A song that sparks out some irony

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DARREN LIM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ERICIA LEE

"Wake Me Up When September Ends", a very recent Green Day song was sung by Tanya Chua alongside the Final 2 Singapore Idol contestants Hady Mirza and Jonathan Leong during the SI Finals results show at the Indoor Stadium just a few nights ago... the song came at just the right time somehow, for it marks the end of a nationwide phenomenon towards the end of this month (see the irnoy here?), and the start of the dreadful Idol Withdrawal. Indeed life is never going to be the same now that the Singapore Idol frenzy had become nothing more than a distant memory, starting from next week onwards :-(
Info on the song:
"Wake Me Up When September Ends" is the fourth single from Green Day's seventh studio album, American Idiot. Released on 13 June 2005, the single peaked at number six in the United States, becoming Green Day's second Top 10 single. It also peaked at number eight in Canada and the UK, while making number thirteen in Australia. The song is well known for its music video, which paints a drawn out intimate portrait of a wartime situation.
The song was co-written by the members of Green Day (with lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong writing the lyrics), and was co-produced by Green Day and Rob Cavallo. There once was much debate about what this song was about. However, Billie Joe has confirmed to the mass public that the song was written as a memorial anthem about his father, a jazz musician and minor league baseball catcher, who died of lung cancer when Billie Joe was only ten years old.
The song eventually became a tribute song to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, and sound bytes were added from various news coverages to the song. A live version of the song, recorded on September 3, 2005 at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts was released soon after and dedicated to the hurricane's victims. The song also became tribute for those who had lost their lives from the September 11, 2001 attack (i.e. the World Trade Center Twin Towers collapse). The song has also been dedicated during performances in 2004 to Johnny Ramone after his death.
For more info on the song, click on the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Me_Up_When_September_Ends
For more info on the American rockband Green Day, click on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Day



Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when september ends

Like my fathers come to pass
Seven years has gone so fast
Wake me up when september ends

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when september ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Ring out the bells again
like we did when spring began
Wake me up when September ends

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Like my father's come to pass
Twenty years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends
Wake me up when September ends
Wake me up when September ends

No comments: