Monday, January 05, 2009

"Little Nyonya" ends tonight :-(

Happy Birthday to Junhao

Little Nyonya... everyone's talking about it.

Yesterday's morning church service started on a very interesting note... Pastor Reuben asked everyone, "Does anyone out there know what is the significance of tomorrow (Monday)?" And some people replied, "The first Monday of the year 2009." And the pastor answered, "Oh no, not just that... it's the last 2 episodes of "Little Nyonya"!!" Haha, he really got us there... :-D

Anyway, back to the topic of "Little Nyonya". It's sad that the mega-drama is coming to an end tonight, but Im glad I followed the entire blockbuster series for the past 5 weeks or so. I have certainly no regrets watching the show, and I was certainly glad to have attended the roadshow at Compass Point a few weeks back (yes, the very one where the turnout was overwhelming with 5000 people!!).

The thing I don't quite get about the series is... the first few episodes focused on the Peranakan culture and cuisine, the pantum songs performed by Pierre Png I like the most. But as the series progressed, there seemed to be almost no focus on the Peranakan food, but instead there was heavy focus on adult-oriented scenes like adultery, murder, manipulation, greed and rape... as well as issues of sheer hatred directed at the scumbag-of-a-father-and-son-pair, Charlie and Robert Zhang.

In spite of all the criticism that "The Little Nyonya" had received (overpromotion, stereotyping, loopholes, inconsistencies, etc), nobody can deny the fact that it had become the most watched drama series in 15 years of Singapore TV history. It certainly helps that the cast did an excellent job. :-)
Truth be told, I have already watched the last 2 episodes of the show via Mob TV... but don't worry, I'm not gonna provide any spoilers here. So far the only people who were aware of the actual ending were my mum and a few friends who have also subscribed to Mob TV. Believe me, the ending is gonna have a bit of a twist... you have been warned. :-X

Now as the show is coming to an end... I am beginning to experience LNWS (Little Nyonya Withdrawal Syndrome), and trying my very best not to (esp since I got so much stuff to do these days). I believe nearly everyone I know will be feeling roughly the same way I am right now. :-(((

I've been through similar withdrawal syndromes way too many times... such as Singapore Idol withdrawal, U Are The One withdrawal, Honor and Passion withdrawal, Metamorphosis withdrawal, too many to mention really. Matter of fact, I don't think Im gonna watch the next 9 pm drama... would rather wait for "Dream Catchers" to debut in early February bah :-/

So remember... the last 2 episodes of "Little Nyonya" starts at 8 pm tonight!

Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Nyonya
http://littlenyonya.mediacorptv.sg/

No comments: