Sunday, August 17, 2008

Colon Cancer Awareness roadshow at Suntec

Before going for the colon cancer event (organized by SGH) at Suntec City Tower 4, I actually went for some Jobs Career fair at the Convention Center. Man, was the queue there overwhelming!!! I managed to get in only after abt an hour's wait. I didn't stay there for too long, for the exhibition halls were jam-packed with about a thousand people.

So I headed to Suntec Tower 4... meeting up with a few Fel fans and patting Hui Si's head (blushes). This is actually the second colon cancer awareness roadshow so far... the first one being held at Raffles City last year. I couldn't help but say "oh my god!!" repeatedly, for WWE commentator Jim Ross had undergone colon surgery.


I found out from the static charts that colon cancer is currently the second highest cancer form in Singapore... found more commonly in men than in women. Not only that, the percentile of colon cancer for men had increased from 17.4 to 17.8 within 3 years, beating the percentile of lung cancer (found most commonly in heavy smokers). For women, the number 1 cancer killer is breast cancer. Truth be told, I went for the roadshow partly because my aunt had undergone colon surgery years ago, and is doing fine. Still, the videos on the colon cancer surgery still continue to freak me out...

Personally, I prefer this colon cancer event to last year's one, for a few good reasons:
1) I had already known more fans/friends before that;
2) I had already become part of Fel's fanclub earlier this year;
3) most important of all, no sign of that idiot MKP!! Thank goodness... then again, it's unlikely he would go anyway, given his current predicament (muahaha)


Felicia, beautiful as ever, got on stage at about 1150 hrs and sang "Super Number One". Click the link here to watch the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEJWwyQvuc


Ravi the emcee for the day went around the place for the fans to answer questions related to colon cancer. The guest of honor was the Minister of Health, Mr Khaw Boon Wan. He placed his hand on the traffic light stand on the satge, and the 3 huge balloons suspended at the rooftop burst, unleaching smaller balloons and confetti. The colon cancer awareness outreach programme has officially been launched! :-)


Fel creating badges with some little kids


Fel at the makeshift operation theater with lots of mediacl personnel


Fel taking picture with fans at the Vitagen booth

Had it not been for the church seminar that I had to attend at 2 plus, I would have been able to buy 4 packs of Vitagen so I can take picture with Fel again. But then hor, they use instant photo type, no fun. I prefer the photo to be taken from digicam. At least I managed to get her autograph before she rushed off for a cab. When it comes to taking picture with her, there's always a next time. :-)

This was what I did after Fel's event ended (and Irene Ang was there again to interview some of the doctors)...
1430-1700 hrs: take train to Serangoon, attend some church workshop on deeper worship
1730-1845 hrs: short rest at home, then me and Momma take bus to Changi Airport
1930-2045 hrs: dinner at Terminal 3
2100-2150 hrs: along with Wendy, we await for brother's return
2200-2230 hrs: supper within airport
2300-0000 hrs: reach home and sleep early
Stay tuned for my entry on Nat's birthday gathering... ;-)

No comments: