Wednesday, October 01, 2008

My thoughts on the Levi's event, NS casualties and Mamma Mia

Happy Birthday to Jana and Geraldine Paige
Selamat Hari Raya to all Muslims :-)

I just got back from Ngee Ann City, and I must say that it was a blast! Not only was Jonathan performing, but Taufik Batisah as well. I wasn't too pleased, however by the fact that the ugly turd known as Alvin (yes!! That mentally challenged youngster) turned up and made a lot of noise as he always did. Seems like he never learnt his lesson from what he did at the Big Idea event when he nearly molested an actress... like the saying goes, "a leopard never changes it spots, and neither will a tiger change its stripes". Because I am going to watch "Crime Busters X 2" very soon, I will only be uploading pictures tomorrow morning.

Another case of misfortune has befallen in Singapore again... and I'm not referring to the recent passing of J.B.J. Just yesterday, a 20-year-old National Serviceman collapsed midway through chin-ups during IPPT, and was pronounced dead in hospital about 2 hours later. To make things worse, he was enlisted only 2 mths ago, and was only weeks to finishing BMT... and he was on 3 days of medical leave!!! This is the third military death to happen in Singapore so far, and the first death resulted from a non-strenous activity. But if I have to be honest, the IPPT segment that may result in death is the 2.4 km run, the very segment which I fear the most. I was never good at running fast...

Oh, and I went to watch "Mamma Mia! The Movie" at Bugis Junction on Monday night after knocking off from work. Ok, I admit I watched the film mostly cos I like ABBA songs, but also because I wanna find out for myself which cast members can sing. Meryl Streep had proven that she not only can take on any role, she can also sing really well, and she's definitely suitable for musical comedy. She shares amazing chemistry with Amanda Siegfied who plays her daughter Sophie about to get married to her boyfriend Sky. The 2 ladies who play Streep's friends are equally lovable and fun to watch... :-)

After watching the film, I conclude that only a few of the cast members are rather terok at singing... mainly the male leads Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth and Stellann Skarsgard. The former James Bond/Remington Steele may be good at charming the ladies with his oozing machismo and wits, but he certainly can't impress the ladies when it comes to singing. He looked rather constipated and strained when choking out the lyrics... a bit like Jerry Ong if you ask me (but many times better in terms of hunk factor). Despite his lack of singing ability, Sam Carmichael (Mr Brosnan's role) gets to win over the heart of Donna (Meryl Streep), and they eventually get hitched! It's up to you to find out what happens to Bill Anderson (Skarsgard) and Harry Bright (Firth)...

I rate this film 7.5 out of 10. The direction of the story may sound a little absurd (much like in the actual play), but it's certainly enjoyable and worth-watching. Look out for special cameos by ABBA composers Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus. ;-)

No comments: